If your site was built with Drupal within the last few years, you may be wondering what all the D8 fuss is about. How is Drupal 8 better than Drupal 6 or 7? Is it worth the investment to migrate? What do you need to know to make a decision? In this post we’ll share the top five reasons our customers—people like you—are taking the plunge. If you know you’re ready, tell us.
- Drupal 8 has a built-in services-based, API architecture. That means you can build new apps to deliver experiences across lots of devices quickly and your content only needs to live in one place. D8’s architecture means you don’t have to structure your data differently for each solution—we’ve helped clients build apps for mobile, Roku, and Amazon Alexa using this approach (read how we helped NBC). If you’re on Drupal 6 now, a migration to Drupal 8 will allow you to do unleash the power of your content with API integration.
- You can skip Drupal 7 and migrate straight to D8. If you’re on Drupal 6, migrating directly to Drupal 8 is not just doable—it’s advisable. It will ensure every core and contributed module, security patch, and improvement is supported and compatible for your site for longer.
- The Drupal 8 ecosystem is ready. One of the reasons people love Drupal is for the amazing variety of modules available. Drupal 8 is mature enough now that most of the major Drupal modules you have already work for D8 sites.
- Drupal 8 is efficient. Custom development on Drupal 8 is more efficient than previous versions—we’ve already seen this with our D8 clients and others in the Drupal community are saying the same thing. When you add that to the fact that Drupal 8 is the final version to require migration—all future versions will be minor upgrades—you’ve got a solid business reason to move to Drupal 8 now.
- It’s a smart business decision. Drupal 6 is no longer supported—and eventually Drupal 7 will reach “end of life”—which means any improvements or bug fixes you’re making to your existing site will need to be re-done when you do make the move. Migrating to Drupal 8 now will ensure that any investments you make to improving or extending your digital presence are investments that last.
If you’re still not sure what you need, or if you would like to discuss a custom review and recommendation, get in touch. At Four Kitchens, we provide a range of services, including user experience research and design, full-stack development, and support services, each with a strategy tailored to your success.
- Read about American Craft Council’s move to Drupal 8 »
- Your site should use component-based theming, here’s how »
- See what we’ve done for other clients »
- Read more about the services we provide »
- Meet the team »
Making the web a better place to teach, learn, and advocate starts here...
When you subscribe to our newsletter!